In partnership with CBSSports.com
Online Now 756
Online now 249 Record: 9625 (10/8/2011)
The place for Gamecock talk, news and information
The place for Gamecock football and recruiting talk, plus off-topic subjects.
The place for Gamecock basketball talk, news and information
The ultimate online destination for the latest scoop on Carolina's national power baseball program.
Everything from Gamecock Insider Tony Morrell, in case you missed it.
The place to read all past editions of Spurnotes
The best of the best
Buy and sell your Gamecock tickets here.
Feedback for TBS and 247Sports.
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
and the ripple effect.
New players already signed or in school.
Johnson 6-2 PG (enrolled)
McKie 6-4 2G (signed)
Thornwell 6-5 2G/SF (signed)
Ringer 6-9 C (signed)
Hope to finish with:
Henry 6-9 PF
Theus 6-8 SF/PF
Shaw 6-0 PG
at the moment we have 14 on schollie. Adding 3 more would take that to 17 meaning we'd need to delete 4 non-senior kids from last yrs team. Here's my take on that.
1. Williams: Why ? he's a good scorer but is not big enough or physical enough o seemingly committed enough to play the defense Martin demands.
2. Slawson: Why ? he was a non factor last yr when we badly needed an inside presence. His opportunity has come & gone. He culdn't get out of the doghouse long enough to contribute.
3. Geathers: Why ? he will have nbeen seriously by-passed by the incoming bigs. I question if the broken knee cap will ever allow him to fully contribute. Then there's his skill level. Horn brought him in late even when he did not dominate at Carver's Bay which ios a smaller SC HS.
4. Leonard: Why ? he's simply not the player we thought he was. He's not ath;letic or physical enough to succeed in the SEC. His one trick is shooting. His shooting pct is abysmal. When a 1 trick pony can't pull off his trick, it's time to part ways.
5. Richardson: Why ? too weak to hold up thru an entire SEC season. He has some skills but wears down so badly during stretches of the year.
Basically that opens up 1 extra schollie after next yr when Smith graduates. To be honest I could see Smith leaving as well. Assume we get Shaw. Shaw & Notice would both play the point better than Smith. In December Joghnson coes eligible. Ellington comes over in January. Smith will never see the floor once they are all able to play. It gets down to this, Martin is not going to sit on his thumbs and wait around for a mediocre roster to cost him his job. He's a mover and shaker. I feel we'll get Shaw and 2 bigs. We'll be very young next yr but guess what ..... talent trumps experience when the experience is not very talented.
I agree with everything you said. Hopefully we can land one of Henry/Reynolds. I think Theus has good potential and Shaw can handle PG until Ty arrives. Then add Stroman, Peak and a 4/5 next year.
Fomerly known as Garnet&BlackAttack.
Not really sure I follow your math. We have 13 total. My count says we played with 12 this year.
2 (Page and Jackson) are done.
I can think of 2 more I won't name who are almost certainly going to be transferring.
That leaves 8 total on scholarship.
Which means we can add 5.
We have 4 committed or already enrolled.
One left to give = 13
I you pressed me I could find a couple more to encourage to seek other opportunities, but I'd doubt either is Williams or Richardson.
If we have 13, and 4 are gone, that leaves 9. I don't follow your math either
I agree that it's doubtful that Williams or Richardson are gone. Esp. Williams.
Ally will beat the crap out of Uga.
We were right at 13 prior to Notice's commitment. That means at least one current player won't be returning and one will have to go for each commitment from here on out.
Think Geathers gets a medical hardship and id think Leonard is as good as gone. His eligibility remaining will be appealing to other schools so a transfer should be easy. After that i think it gets a lot more tricky.
"Those who live in the past are cowards and losers" -- Mike Ditka
I think Slaw is gone also. I appreciate his effort but at this point I think everyone would rather have a big that's a bit more aggressive (Henry or Reynolds)
Slawson seemed to test Martin's patience right to the edge of sanity with every second he was in games this year. He would put him in, and yank him right back out.
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports